I’m pleased to announce that the GNOME PERU FEST 2014 has been held in the IBM Perú campus according to the plan I presented to the GNOME Foundation at the beginning of this year. “Let’s use Linux” was the mark for this year. I want to thank to all the people who helped me to accomplished this project, my family and friends in Lima were so kind to support the job. The GNOME Foundation, IBM and INFOPUCP were the organisations that sponsored this year the event. Thanks also La Republica, a well-know newspaper in Lima, because they published a post of our event in their Webpage :D
This year we had a formal open, Sergio Sotelo (Chief of Technology and Innovation Officer of IBM Perú) presented WATSON which runs over Bluemix. He also announced the Limuna project that will be launch today on June, 30th.
During the talks we expressed the importance of Linux in different projects around the world, we posted that IBM is one of the power technology that use Linux and it is demanding more professionals with this profile. Aaron Castanon, architect of Technology in IBM said “Every engineer student has no know Linux as a second language.”
A quickly reviewed of our speakers this year:
- Maite Brignetti (Branding IBM) -> Applying to IBM Perú
- Richard Miguel (IT Specialist of IBM) -> High Availability in Linux
- Aaron Castanon (Architect of IT technologies IBM) -> Linux is the future
- Jonathan Campos (T Specialist – Software Services IBM) -> Middleware Applications
- Alberto Guerrero Cardenas (IT Specialist Unix IBM) -> Raspberry PI with Fedora 20
- Marco Villegas (GNOME Peru and GSoC 2009) -> Participating in the GSoC program
- Workshop of Installation of Ubuntu and Fedora 20 -> Michael Garrido (Ubuntu Perú) and Rodolfo Pimentel (Red Hat training in Peru and IT Specialist of IT in IBM Perú)
- Valentin Barros Puertas (4 times GSoC, twice with GNOME) -> Experiences in the GSoC
- Fabian Orccón (Peruvian winner of GSoC with Pitivi – GNOME) -> Participating in GSoC
- José Antonio Rey (member of Ubuntu Perú) -> Cloud Services, he is 17 years old and he presented his project juju in Amazon EC2. It was a very impressive presentation.
We did not have any presentation of any women involved with a Linux project as we had last year with Giohanny. I hope next year we can present something.
* Because of the World Cup penalties, we shared pizza during the break watching the football game before starting the workshop of installation. This was our cake of the event:
I have shared all the pictures and I want to thank again to GOD, family, friends, coworkers, speakers, participants and of course, GNOME <3