kittykat, amigadave, aklapper, j1mc, baptistemm, petrovak, philbull, mimico, shaunm, mdhillca, yulys and ihmis-suski (contacts on #docs on irc.gnome.org)) became real last week to contribute with the documentation for the new release of GNOME: 3.4.0.
This group was managed by Shaun McCance, Phil Bull and WANDA (our computer to test)…
by -> Baptista
“What did we do every day?” (– this is what I got from my perspective–)
- In the morning, Mike Hill found me in the Amsterdam airport… and asking for the WiFi connection I met Cosimo Cicci… so we three together traveled to Praha.
- Andre Klapper was waiting for us in the airport. I met Susanna Huhtanen and we went to take a little tour to the castles, churches and the city in general. We took a train to Brno.
- In the night we went to Iron Horse, we suddenly met to Florian Nadge and Petr Kovar, the best hosts you can imagine… Thanks Petr, Florian and Jiri for everything 🙂
- In the morning I did updates for baobab documentation guided by Kat, while everyone else were participated in the brainstorm for Online Accounts documentation.
- In the afternoon, everyone wrote one or two topics related to Online Accounts. We create 7 new folders in gnome-user-docs/gnome-help/C. Kat and I wrote accounts-create.page.
- In the evening I took a dinner at Gambrinus; after that, we spent some time at the lobby.
- In the morning I cloned gnome-user-docs help because I had had formatted my laptop. Kat taught me to be more careful with words, they had to be the same as terms in GNOME established. It was defined to write the symbol + instead the word ‘plus’, and also discussed storage devices like hard disk and removable devices.
- In the afternoon we attended to the Shaun talk and I was continuing the writing for baobab, this time I was writing a new type of List I had never used before, for protocols.
- In the evening, we bowling n.n.
- In the morning I was testing scan remote folders with Baptista. We did scan his server using ssh or sftp in his laptop.
- In the afternoon Phil divided topics for everyone. We did a to-do list for reviewing and updating topics. Each one of us did 5 or 7 folders approximately. Brainstorm for Boxes.
- In the night Shaun invited us dinner at Magistr.
- In the morning Phil decided to make me write the whole documentation for Documents, so I created 12 new folders and did tests in WANDA, Jim’s laptop, Mike’s laptop and Cossimo’s laptop. By the way, this application is maintained by Cossimo Cicci. In the way, I learned something about Evince and Meta Tracker, applications of GNOME.
- In the middle morning, Phil also established groups of work, people who can write documentation for developers and people who can write general help for users. We had hard work that day, we shared lunch and dinner at the office.
- In the morning Tiffany and Susanna did their presentation about technical writing. Developers attended and they gave them suggestions to improve the tutorial which includes languages like C, Java, Vala and Python.
- In the afternoon, we spent time together visiting Brno city and its museum.
- In the night I had to say good bye.
I want to thank all the GNOME Documentation team again and dedicate some words to Phil Bull, as my mentor he not only teach me how to do things for GNOME, he also teach every time I see him about the Free Software culture. Linux is not only in his computer, he keep the concept in his mind all the time. I know he lives with that every single day… Thanks! I will keep trying.
*** You can see more pictures here 🙂