During the Desktop Summit Berlin 2011, I spent some time doing my job: documentation.
In a few words, this is what I did:
* Re-building Cheese packages to get the last version in my Fedora15 laptop.
Marina was the person who helped me to acomplish this task!
Now I can take photos with effects and record videos with effects.
* Re-structuring Cheese topics, their order and make it more atractive for users.
German Poo was the person who helped me to do this task!
<page xmlns="http://projectmallard.org/1.0/" type="guide" style="task" id="index"> <info> <revision version="0.1" date="2011-06-26" status="stub"/> <title type="link">Cheese Webcam Booth</title> <title type="text">Cheese Webcam Booth</title> <credit type="author copyright"> <name>Julita Inca</name> <email>email@example.com</email> <years>2011</years> </credit> <desc>Cheese Webcam Booth</desc> </info> <title> <media type="image" mime="image/png" src="cheese.png" width="40" height="40"> Cheese Webcam Booth logo </media> Cheese Webcam Booth </title> <comment> <cite date="2011-06-26" href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">Julita Inca</cite> <p>This assumes the reader knows how to configure the webcam and the cheese application. By the end of this page, the reader will be able to take a photo, record a video and take multiple photos in only one click with the Cheese, which gives your photos and videos funny and fancy effects.</p> </comment> <section id="photo-video" style="2column"> <title>Photo and Video</title> </section> <section id="burst" style="2column"> <title>Burst's Photos</title> </section> <section id="problems"> <title>Problems and Questions</title> </section> </page>
[yulys@yulys ~]$ cd cheese-docs/ [yulys@yulys cheese-docs]$ git branch * master [yulys@yulys cheese-docs]$ git commit -a [master 2760eb7] I combined photo and videos in one option and reestructured problems. 21 files changed, 45 insertions(+), 188 deletions(-) delete mode 100644 mac-cheese.page delete mode 100644 skype-ekiga.page delete mode 100644 slow.page [yulys@yulys cheese-docs]$ yelp-check validate . [yulys@yulys cheese-docs]$ git push origin master Counting objects: 38, done. Delta compression using up to 4 threads. Compressing objects: 100% (20/20), done. Writing objects: 100% (20/20), 3.19 KiB, done. Total 20 (delta 18), reused 0 (delta 0) => Syncing Gitorious... [OK] To email@example.com:cheese-docs/cheese-docs.git 5faf930..2760eb7 master -> master [yulys@yulys cheese-docs]$
* Re-viweing my new Cheese structure and the whole documentation I wrote.
Shaun McCance was the person who helped me doing some suggestions that I have to improve.
* Re-evaluating the perspective I took as a comon problems for users because I did so technical.
Tiffany Antopolosky was the person who helped me to do this task.
* Interaction of the Cheese Documentation with the general Desktop help Gnome 3.
Anita Reitere was the person who helped me to check file *.page.stub in the Desktop help.
* I also did some reviewing of the Evolution work that Andre Klapper published on line.
At first sight, these are my recomendations:
– Write the introduction section, because there is no one.
– Use infinitive instead of gerunds in verbs.
– Try to re-structure topics in order to fit them in only one screen.
– Try to avoid pictures or screenshot because they are harder to maintain.
– The photo of the document is also outdated, we have to think inothers team like “location”.
– Try to use marketing behind the writing, we are trying to offer atractive documentation.
– Use the simplest writing possible, we haveto convince users to use our applications.
– Try to avoidtoo many details, we can provide our users a guide and let them growing up by theirselves.
This means, we have to trust they can discover more details, advanced technical settings and more things.
Well, I hope my contributions can fulfill some expectations, after receiving kidness support, helpful help and cheers from many people of the Gnome comunity. ❤